Why baptism is a big deal?
1. Jesus was baptized (Matthew 3:13-17)
2. Jesus commanded us to baptize! (Matthew 28:18-20)
Baptism and the Book of Acts:
Jesus ascends to heaven, and the disciples start the church. In Acts, we see a pattern of gospel preaching, belief, and baptism.
- Peter’s preaching (Acts 2:38)
- Philip and the Eunuch (Acts 8:30-38)
- Paul and Silas in Philippi (Acts 16:29-34)
Common Misconceptions About Baptism
1. It’s necessary for salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-10, 1 Corinthians 1:10-17, Romans 1:16 and 10:9)
The thief on the cross wasn’t baptized! (Luke 23:43)
2. It’s just an outward marking of being dedicated to God. Therefore, it comes before
salvation. Christening like OT circumcision. (Romans 6:4-6).
3. Holy Spirit baptism and water baptism come after salvation. (Romans 8:9, Ephesians 1:13)
4. Believers can be rebaptized as a sign of rededication. (Ephesians 2:8-10)
5. Baptism is unnecessary (Matthew 28:18-20)
Connection Church Athens believes that the New Testament teaches believers baptism as an outward declaration of the inward regeneration of the Holy Spirit.